This is a powerful documentary every parent should watch. Even better, watch it with your kids and then have a conversation about it (like my friend, Rebecca, did as part of her homeschooling instruction).
Some quotes that jumped out at me:
“It’s about people wanting to convince our children that life is about buying; life is about getting.” –Enola Aird, J.D.
“The philosophy becomes cradle to grave. Let’s get to them early; let’s get to them often; let’s get to them as many places as we can get them – not to just sell them products and services, but to turn them into life-long consumers.”
“Marketers know these are little sponges – they’re so wide open – they want to get that brand loyalty for life. ‘Cause that’s big bucks.” –Betsy Taylor, Center for a New American Dream
What watching this video will do:
- make you better aware of the world your kids are living in
- make you think twice about the commercials your children are exposed to everyday
- give you an even bigger reason for turning off the television
- if your kids watch it, they’ll be in on the “scam,” too, and will understand why you’re turning off the TV or unplugging the computer
- cause you to feel less guilty about not giving into the nagging of your kids to buy something in particular
It’s an hour long, so make sure you have some free time available.
Did you watch it? What are your thoughts? (If your kids saw it, please share their reactions as well.)